Friday, November 30, 2007

RED PEPPER JAM--Lynne Snyder

I have made this in the dead of winter when red peppers were really cheap. It's good on corn bread but not everyone likes it. I love it but then, you know, I like most everything, I like most everybody, mostly I'm just a likable kind of girl.

7 large red bell peppers
2 cups apple cider vinegar
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. chili powder

10 cups sugar
2/3 cups lemon juice
1 pkg. pectin (or 1/2 cup Instant Clear Jell if you can get it)

Stem and seed peppers, cut into chunks and grind into very fine pieces in a food processor. (This should measure about 4 cups.) Put in a large pan with the vinegar, salt and chili powder, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.

Mix the sugar and pectin together very well and add to boiling mixture along with the lemon juice. Bring to a rolling boil and boil one minute. Pour into sterilized pint or half pint jars and seal. Process in boiling water bath or steam bath 10 minutes.