Sunday, August 31, 2008

KALE AND BEAN SOUP-- THE MOST PRACTICAL AND MOST USED RECIPE IN THE WHOLE COOKBOOK

This is a simple and yet delicious soup. It can be on the table in less than half an hour. We love it. See here.
KALE AND BEAN SOUP--adapted from the Internet

8 large garlic cloves, crushed or minced. I used the bottled kind because I was lazy.
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cups chopped raw kale. I will grow kale every year from now on just for this soup recipe.
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth--I used the paste, concentrated broth, plus water. Pictures below.
2 (15 ounce) cans beans, such as cannellini , navy, pinto, un-drained. I have used white beans but my favorite are pinto*
4 plum tomatoes, chopped
1-2 teaspoons dried Italian herb seasoning. I used maybe 1 tsp. plus a bit. You can always add more but can't take out.
Salt and pepper to taste. I've never had to add salt but use quite a bit of pepper.

1 cup chopped parsley. I don't have any parsley in the garden, I've used basil but the last two times I've skipped this step as I was freezing the bulk of the soup.


In a large pot steam garlic and onion in a bit of water until soft. Add kale, broth, beans, tomato, herbs, salt and pepper. Simmer 10 to 15 minutes. Ladle into bowls; sprinkle with chopped parsley.

Mine was too hot to eat so I added an ice cube. Phil toughed it out without one.I have used this vegetarian broth paste a lot and like it.This one is from Costco. I've used it a lot, too.

*As the kale continued to grow and I made more and more soup I started using dried pinto beans. I would make a huge stock pot full of soup and freeze it. We will use it all up before the kale is growing again and we will be sad. We may have to buy kale from the grocery store to make this delicious "peasant" soup. Those peasants know how to eat.

No comments: