Thursday, April 3, 2008

GENERAL TAO'S TOFU


I got this recipe from vegweb.com, recipe and pictures are here. It's the highest rated recipe on the site. I doubled the sauce because I was afraid there wouldn't be enough, I was also adding a red pepper and putting the broccoli in with the tofu--sauce is doubled here on this recipe--and added some red bell pepper. I wish I had added some asparagus as I have three pounds in the fridge. I forgot to make rice and since we were hungry and brown rice takes 50 minutes we just ate it with a slice of whole wheat bread.

GENERAL TAO'S TOFU

1 box of firm tofu

egg substitute for 1 egg--I forgot to use this and it turned out fine

3/4 cup cornstarch

vegetable oil for frying

3 chopped green onions

1/2 to 1 red bell pepper, sliced

other veggies, maybe asparagus

2 Tbs minced ginger

2 Tbs minced garlic

1 1/3 cup vegetable stock

¼ cup soy sauce

½ cup sugar

red pepper flakes to taste--I used 1/4 tsp. but it could have used a bit more, I think

2 Tbs sherry (optional)--I didn't use this

2 Tbs white vinegar--I used cider vinegar

steamed broccoli--I used the flourettes and peeled and diced the stems and used them too.

Drain, dry and cut tofu into 1/2 by 1 inch chunks. I had frozen tofu in the freezer from FOREVER AGO. It gives it a firmer texture, more chicken-like consistency. Mix the egg replacer as specified on the box and add an additional 3 tablespoons water--I forgot to do this Dip tofu in egg replacer/water mixture, coat completely. Sprinkle 3/4 cup cornstarch over tofu and coat completely. Watch out that the cornstarch doesn't clump up at bottom of the bowl.

Heat oil in pan and fry tofu pieces until golden. Drain. Heat 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil--too much oil, I used about one--in pan on medium heat. Add green onions, red pepper and other veggies if using, ginger and garlic, cook for about 2 minutes. Be careful not to burn garlic. Add vegetable stock, soy sauce, sugar, red pepper and vinegar. Mix ¼ cup water with 2 Tbs cornstarch and pour into mixture stirring well. Add fried tofu and coat evenly Add broccoli--original recipe did not add broccoli to sauce. Serve over rice.

No comments: