Friday, November 30, 2007

CARROT CAKE--Lynne Snyder

I got this recipe years and years ago, when I was newly married. I wrote down the baking temperature as 225 °--I was too inexperienced to know that no one would bake a cake at 225°. So, I baked it at that temperature and it baked and baked and baked. Finally the toothpick test said it was done. Well it was fabulous. Everyone LOVED it. The only problem is that the cake rose and slurped over the top and the slurped part burned in the bottom of the oven. But we loved it and so we had slurping cake for years and years. When we went Vegan I modified it to use tofu. No more slurping over and it was just as good.

2 cups sugar
1 (12.3 oz.) pkg. silken tofu
1 cup oil (original recipe called for a cup and a half)
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
1 scant tsp. salt
1 Tbs. soda
1 Tbs. cinnamon
3 cups grated carrots
1 to 2 cups chopped walnuts (I use almonds if I know someone is allergic to walnuts and it's just as good)

Blend sugar and tofu well in food processor--they must be mixed very well or there will be tofu lumps. Pour mixture into a bowl and add oil and vanilla, mix well. Mix together flour, salt, soda and cinnamon, then stir in tofu mixture. Stir carrots and nuts into batter and pour into a Pam sprayed 9 by 13 inch glass pan. Bake at 225 degrees (note unusual temperature!) for 2 to 2½ hours. Test with a toothpick.

Frost with Duncan Heinz cream cheese frosting or if making this vegan frost with cream cheese frosting made with Better than Cream Cheese, powdered sugar, some soy or rice milk, a little oil and some vanilla.