Sunday, November 25, 2007

BARBEQUE SAUCE—Sherrie Nelson--daughter-in-law to Don and Elaine Nelson

This was served at a High Priest's dinner at Don and Elaine's farm. I said I wouldn't leave until I had the recipe. They obliged because they didn't want me bedding down with the horses.

1 cup Ketchup
¼ cup vinegar
¾-1 cup brown sugar
2 Tbs. Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tbs. liquid smoke
1 Tbs. cornstarch (my addition)
1 tsp. mustard
Crushed red pepper flakes* OR a healthy pinch of cayenne (my addition)
½ tsp. onion powder (my addition)

¼ tsp. garlic powder (my addition)

Mix the cornstarch with the vinegar and stir into remaining ingredients. Simmer all ingredients until thick. Pour over meat (they used boneless pork) and simmer for at least an hour. (She simmered it for about 4 hours for the High Priest Dinner)

*This would add a little heat. I haven't tried it yet but I know it would be fabulous. AND, this tastes very much like the sauce they use at J-Dawg--a bonus for sure.

PS (Note added 1-21-09) I poured this over meatballs and it was fabulous. I served it with curly noodles. I also added a healthy pinch of cayenne and it was just right.

No comments: